Sunday, January 07, 2007

Freewheeling Again?

Last summer Glenn, Paul and I went on the Oklahoma Freewheel, a 7-day cross-the-state bicycle tour. We've been talking already about whether or not to go this year. I guess Glenn has made up his mind over the weekend, because I just got this message from him:

Lloyd,

I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to go on the freeWheel this year,after all I have most of the equipment already so it should be much cheaper.

Here is a rough estimate of my expected cost.

$1,300 for a new Trek 520
$1,300 for accessories
$200 for a new tent
$100 for a sleeping pad
$120 for entry fee
$450 for spending money
$150 for gas or bus fair
$200 for a bike box
$15 for spare tubes
$15 for a freewheel T-shirt
$35 for spare mirrors
______________________

$3885 total


Let's see what I'll get for my money.

I get to sleep on the ground,
take cold showers,
get rained on,
get crowded out by cars,
to take alot of blurry pictures,
smell bad most of the day,
eat in overcrowded restraunts,
get wind burned AND sunburned,
fight for a camping space,
live on Gatoraid and Cliff bars,
spend most of the day looking for arrows painted on the road,
sit in the hot sun, after a 60 mile day in the saddle,
eat food undercooked or overcooked by the boyscouts or some women's axuillary,
ride 5 miles with PeeWee Herman,
Have to talk nicely with some overweight woman looking for a husband,
get passed by that same overweight woman on the hills, (damn I hate that!)
get knocked over or run down by Lloyd who's only excuse is "I was clipped in",
get chased by mad dogs,
fix flats, mostly for Paul,
put up with people who sing,
get flipped off by mad drivers,
spend every day covered with a mixture of sweat, road grime, sunblock and gnats,...............................
.......but if the wife don't kill me first!.......

I'M GOING!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was good! You should post that to the Freewheel site.

I'm planning on taking the train to Ardmore then riding over to the start this year.