Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Chisel Handles

Oklahoma's weather makes the national news pretty often, it seems. If it's not the heat, then it's either floods, tornadoes, or something else. This time it's a major ice storm. But this past Saturday was a beautiful day, just perfect for leaving the garage/shop door open and working all day making large pieces of wood into smaller ones.
I had several old chisels awaiting new handles, so I set up the old 10-ER as a lathe and went to work. I wanted to experiment with the handle shapes and overall size, so I just started with a picture of some handles I liked, and started turning. The two larger ones are made from hard maple; the smaller one from pecan.

I like the shape of the handles, but I the sizes aren't quite right. I think I'll be better suited to handles sized between the larger and smaller ones. Also, I think I'll stain the next ones dark.


No comments: