Sunday, January 22, 2006

Prototype
















Got another little project in the works. My wife has a large old family Bible and needs a display stand for it. The plan is to put the stand and Bible on the top of our glass-doored bookshelves in the living room. I want the stand to match the wood and general construction of the bookshelves, so I bought some decent oak plywood yesterday. But, before I cut the plywood I wanted to throw together a prototype to check the measurements and see how the big book looked on it.

The size and general measurements turned out to be close. The only dimensional change we decided to make is to lower the front by about two-thirds, leaving the back the same height, and thereby increasing the display angle of the book. Of course, I'll use different joinery on the next version ... the screws are only for the prototype!

So, I guess one day this week I’ll start cutting the good plywood, but first I need to put up the clothesline I promised my sweetie. She’s been really patient :)

No comments: