Monday, October 16, 2006

All Around Good Weekend

Yep, good weekend. But then, aren't all weekends good? Saturday we drove to Cordell, Oklahoma for a Pumpkin Festival. Trouble was, there wasn't a punkin in sight! (OK, maybe a few). But it was almost all venders of rubber snakes, Chinese toys and cheap knives. Later in the afternoon we stopped in Hobart, where there wasn't any kind of celebration going on. There we had a thoroughly fine time walking around the square, having lunch in a small diner, going to antique stores, and taking lots of pictures.

But, the coolest thing is all the wildlife we saw. We saw some really large hawks and a tall blue heron. We saw a snake in the sun on a back road near a little lake. We saw two deer standing by the side of the road. And coolest of all, a young mountain lion trotted across the road about 50 yards ahead of us as we drove through the Quartz Mountains. It was a rare privilege to see this reclusive animal, but I couldn't help thinking that I hope I don't meet up with him/her while hiking someday. Or even worse, have him/her nearby, watching me or even following me without my being aware of it!

No comments: