Thursday, May 31, 2007

On the Road Again



Took a nice little ride this morning. The weather was brisk and cool and humid, with dark clouds overhead. It didn’t rain, but it was humid enough to feel a little clammy. I rode north to the Wichita Mountains and Lake Lugert, and further to the Lodge at the lake. Climbing the hills to the lodge was good for my legs, since I’m trying to get a little work in preparation for my upcoming cross-the-state ride.


I can’t look at the mountains without thinking about the history involved; the native Americans who live there for generations, and the forays the white soldiers made into the “wilderness” back in the 19th century. It all seems like it wasn’t that long ago, but so much has changed.


The lake is finally full again after a six year drought. Water is actually spilling over the dam. The river is full from the spring rains. I like it. Can’t wait to get back out in the kayaks again soon.


Saw lots of wildlife today … lots of wooly worms on the road. I guess they like the warmth of the asphalt. While I was going through the mountains on the way to the lodge I had three vultures swooping near my head. Don’t know what was up with them. I also saw some cottontail rabbits, a jack rabbit and a big bird that looked like a brown pelican.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great ride. One of the things I like so much about you is your knowledge of history. Youse is a smart.