Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Absent, but busy

It’s been a while since I last posted, and there’s been a lot going on around here. We enjoyed a trip to Texas to visit the in-laws a couple of weeks ago, and last weekend we reconnoitered a nearby lake with the expectation of soon hitting it with our kayaks.

We ordered the majority of the materials to build our patio cover, and it now sits in the garage where my wife’s car usually sits. I built the forms and poured the concrete for the post pillars, but the actual framing will have to wait until after my trip to Wichita next week. Hopefully, by then most of the April showers will be past.



Last week our DSL modem bit the dust. My wife spent a couple days troubleshooting the system with the help (or hindrance?) of on-line support, and ended up ordering us a new modem. It arrived yesterday and she installed it and had us back up and running before the evening began. It seems to be rock-solid and fast so far.

On a personal note … It was forty years ago today that my father died. He had just turned 39 years old, and I was not yet 16. It’s strange to think that he’s now been gone longer than he was alive. And after all this time I can still remember the way he walked, the sound of his voice, the feel of his hand on my shoulder, even the way he smelled. If my own children remember me the way I remember him, my life will have been a success.

No comments: