Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On The Road Again

I didn’t spend $4.10 on gasoline today … I rode my bicycle.

I planted the first items in our garden yesterday afternoon. The last time I planted a garden was probably 30 years ago. Back then I bought a roto-tiller, broke up half the back yard, and planted long rows of vegetables. This time I’m trying square-foot gardening, and simply turning over the soil (several times) with a spade, and then planting a small number of plants in that limited space. Yesterday I set out a few onions, and planted some of the early seed vegetables like cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. It’s probably a little early, so I’m staggering the planting schedule by a quarter of the space per week. Next week it’ll be more of the early vegetables, then the week after it’ll be the first of the late vegetables.

Had tons of fun playing with Rose, our youngest granddaughter, last night. I get such a kick out of watching her explore, learn, and grow. She’s just learning to scoot across the floor, and it’s fun watching how excited she gets when she realizes she can actually motivate. This summer should be fun in the back yard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's fun for me to watch you enjoying her company. xoxo to you both.