Saturday, December 31, 2005

Good Week



It’s been a good week for lots of reasons. Christmas was really enjoyable, even more so than usual. All the kids and grandkids came by for a little pre-Christmas party. We’re up to 3 daughters, two sons, two sons-in-law and 5 grandkids so far. Makes for a houseful when they all show up at once.

It’s nice having two 3-day weekends in a row, too. Since my honey bought me a bicycle tool kit (Park AK-32) for Christmas, I’ve been having a great time tinkering on my bikes in the garage. I’ve completely stripped, cleaned, overhauled and adjusted the old Bstone 200. All I need to do tomorrow is put the cables back on and adjust the brakes and deraillers. Then I’ll take her for a spin. That old bike must have been hanging in the previous owner’s garage for a long time, because the grease was really dried out in all the bearings. Everything spins nicely now, though.

A couple of days ago I threw together a bike workstand. Since I claim to be a woodworker and have neither the attitude nor aptitude for metalworking, I sensibly made it from some old plywood and a two-by-four. I already had bike storage hanger, a sort of bolt-on wall hanger with fold-down arms. I’d been clamping that hanger in my bench vise and using that as a workstand for a few months, but it was really in the way. The hanger works well on my new stand, and it’s now portable and height adjustable.

No comments: